Monday, February 18, 2013

Cashew Chicken or The Things We Do For Others Part II.

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Cashew Chicken.


     Way back on May 15, 2012 I put up a post about Chicken Marsala that was sub-titled "The Things We Do For Others". The idea of that post was that although we are dieting, I love my wife very much and I don't want her to have to avoid her favorite dinners. My solution was to find diet recipes that replicate her favorite dinners and learn how to make them. Cashew Chicken is Ellen's favorite Chinese dinner; it doesn't matter which Chinese restaurant we go to or what is on the the menu, she will be having the cashew chicken. When I realized that I was going to have to find healthy versions of Ellen's favorite dinners, this was one of the first ones I looked up.
     Although I've posted a few Chinese/Asian dinners on here, cashew chicken was the first one I ever attempted from scratch. Before I tried this recipe I was apprehensive that I could pull off a Chinese dinner but as I worked through it I realized it was a lot easier than I though it would be. When it was time to eat Ellen was pleasantly surprised to see that familiar favorite; the look on her face when she tasted it let me know that I had made a winner.
     Now that you know my reason for making cashew chicken, let's take a look at the recipe.

                                          Cashew Chicken

Prep time   25 Min.     Cook time   12 Min.     Serves   4

Ingredients

2 teaspoons peanut oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1-1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, or more to taste

2 ribs celery, chopped

8 ounce canned bamboo shoots, drained

8 ounce canned water chestnuts, sliced, drained

1-1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot

1-3/4 ounces unsalted dry-roasted cashews (about 6 tablespoons)

Instructions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until browned on all sides stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.

Add 1 cup of broth, soy sauce, celery, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and cashews to chicken and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of broth; add to skillet and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.

To serve, divide rice among 4 shallow dishes. Spoon chicken mixture onto rice. Enjoy.

This recipe yields 4 servings at 1 cup of chicken and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.


     This is an easy to make,delicious dinner that will rival any Chinese restaurant.
If you have family or friends that are fans of cashew chicken try this dinner on them. And if you want to boost the flavor, give it a couple of extra splashes of soy sauce. As always, if you try this dinner check back here and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out.


     Next week - My Salad or What I Have Learned.

No comments: