Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken Curry or One More Way to Make Indian Food.

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken Curry.


     Over these many months we've covered a lot of recipes and we've seen a few recurring themes. With today's dinner we are going to revisit the theme of Indian food. As a child and a teenager I was not aware of Indian food; it wasn't until I moved to West Germany in the mid 1980's that I had any exposure to it.
Shortly after moving to Columbus I noticed that Indian restaurants were becoming more popular in the states and people were being exposed to these new and exciting flavors. I do have to say that until recently I had only eaten Indian food a handful of times and I had never experienced it at the level that I have since finding these recipes.
     In previous posts I have written about the use of skewers and tandoor ovens in Indian cooking but to the best of my knowledge crock pot cooking is not common among Indian cuisine but it lends itself very well to this dish.The one thing that might throw you off in this recipe is chutney; chutney is similar to jelly and is usually made from mango. The chutney that I have used when making this recipe is mango and ginger which adds an extra layer to the sweet and sour complexity.
     So let's take a look at today's recipe.

                        Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken Curry

Prep time   10 Min.     Cook time   240 Min.     Serves   4

Ingredients

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 large vidalia onion, sliced

14-1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes

1/2 cup mango chutney

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1-1/2 teaspoon curry powder

Instructions

Place chicken, pepper and onion in a crock pot; top with tomatoes

Mix together remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture, cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.

This recipe yields about 1-1/2 to 2 cups per serving.


     This is an easy and delicious dinner that has a wonderful complexity of flavors.
If you try this dinner, check back here and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out.


     Next week - Turkish Meatballs with a Cucumber-Yogurt Dipping Sauce or Happy New Years!

No comments: