Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Roasted Brisket or Something New (To Me).

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Roasted Brisket.

  
     Recently I found a slimmed down recipe for roasted brisket; I have never had brisket and I've always been curious about it. With all of the places I've been and all of the different types of food I've eaten I somehow had never eaten brisket. So what is it and how is it prepared? I don't feel at this point that I have a definitive answer but with this recipe I think I have a good starting point. The one thing that I was aware of before I tried this recipe is that brisket is a large piece of beef (usually 2 - 4 pounds) that is cooked for a long time at a low temperature. In this recipe I found that I would be cooking my brisket in the oven for three hours at 325f. The second thing I discovered is that I would be roasting baby carrots, mushrooms, and onions in the same pan as my brisket; I don't know if this is the normal way to roast brisket but I do like the idea that it is getting me one step closer to a complete dinner so I will go with it. The third thing I discovered is that this recipe also has a tomato mixture that will be poured over the brisket and will be used to baste it.
     After working through this recipe I found that I had a large piece of beef similar to a pot roast but coated with a layer of tomato mixture on the outside similar to meatloaf. When I tasted it I found that it was very moist and flavorful,; how have I missed out on this for all of these years? The vegetables cooked in the tomato mixture and juices that had run off of the brisket were soft, moist, and delicious.
I don't know if this is the normal way to prepare vegetables with brisket but I definitely like it.
     Now that you have a little background about my limited experience with brisket, let's jump into today's recipe.

                                            Roasted Brisket

Prep time   15 Min.     Cook time   180 Min.     Serves   8

Ingredients

1 large onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound baby carrots

5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 to 2-1/2 cups)

2-1/2 pounds lean and trimmed beef brisket

28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes

1 teaspoon paprika

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons sugar

Instructions

Preheat oven to 325f.

Spread onion slices and garlic on bottom of a nonstick roasting pan; top with carrots and mushrooms. Arrange beef over vegetables.

In a mixing bowl combine tomatoes, paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and sugar; stir to dissolve sugar.

Pour tomato mixture over brisket and vegetables; tightly cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Roast for 2 hours and then remove from oven; uncover, stir and use pan juices to baste meat. Return brisket to oven and roast for about 1 hour more uncovered, basting every 15 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing beef into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Serve meat and vegetables with sauce spooned over top.

This recipe yields about 3 ounces of beef and 3/4 cup of vegetables and sauce per serving.


     This is a wonderful, nearly complete dinner that would be great for holiday entertaining. I recommend you put this on the table at your Christmas or New Years party and prepare yourself to graciously accept the compliments. If you would like to add some extra color and flavor, add a cup of frozen green bell pepper strips and a few red skin potatoes. If you try this dinner check back here and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out.

     Next week - Spinach Au Gratin or A Nice Alternative.

No comments: