Monday, November 19, 2012

Provencal Beef Stew or The Better of The Two.

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Provencal Beef Stew.



     Over the last couple of months I've found some recipes that are either variations of the same thing or different recipes that are similar. An example of this is the BBQ Pork Sandwiches that I posted two weeks ago; when I found that recipe I also found a recipe that was the same with the exception that it omitted the homemade slaw. The reason that I posted the one I did is because I think that the slaw added something that made it a better recipe. Another example is Boeuf Bourguignon and Provencal Beef Stew; these are two different recipes that have similar traits.
The two times that I made boeuf bourguignon it didn't turn out quite the way I expected it to and I felt disappointed that I had put so much work into something so bland. On the other hand I have made Provencal beef stew a couple of times and so far I have been very happy with it. This leads me to a decision, should I write about boeuf bourguignon or provencal beef stew? I think we know the answer.
     Provencal Beef Stew is a french dish that comes from the Provence-Alpes-Cote D'Azure region. It originated as something considered a "peasant" food in an area that is good for grazing animals but is not suited for growing large crops.
The area is mountainous and the nutrient poor soil is best suited to growing root vegetables. Part of what I like about this stew is that it started with a humble beginning and an attitude of making something delicious out of simple ingredients.
     So let's jump into today's recipe.

                                      Provencal Beef Stew

Prep time   20 Min.     Cook time   425 Min.     Serves   6

Ingredients

16 ounces lean beef round, cut into 1-inch cubes (London broil)

1 spray cooking spray

1 small onion, chopped

2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 large carrots, sliced

15 ounces canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed, divided

1-1/2 cups beef broth, divided

14-1/2 ounces canned crushed tomatoes

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons fresh thyme, or 2 whole sprigs for garnish (optional)

Instructions

Place beef in a crock pot

Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to crock pot; add carrots.

Place half of beans in crock pot; place remaining beans in a blender. Add 1/2 cup of broth to blender and puree; spoon mixture into crock pot. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper to crock pot.

Cover crock pot and cook on high setting for 6 to 7 hours. Garnish with fresh thyme before serving

This recipe yields about 1-1/4 cups per serving.


     This is a delicious dinner that will satisfy every member of your family.
Serve it with a salad and French bread and you will have a complete meal.
If you try this dinner leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.


     Next week - Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce or More Food on a Stick.

No comments: