Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala or Somewhere In Between.

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala.



     Over these many months I've been able to try many new dinners and in turn post them here so that you can try them. The one thing that stands out the most about them is how ethnically diverse they are. We have tried foods from all over the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Chicken tikka masala is a dinner from India; this is only the second Indian dinner that I've tried to make but I have to say that I like how easy they are to make. I also like that they inject new flavors into my dinner routine.
     For me Indian food is difficult to describe; it's not New World, European, or Oriental, it's somewhere in between. The flavors are diverse, ranging from sweet to sour and spicy to cool and refreshing. At first glance the ingredients seem to be a mistake but during the cooking process they come together in a way that they play off of and compliment each other. The ingredients are simple but create flavors that are very unique.
     Now that we've shed a little more light on Indian cuisine, let's jump into today's recipe.


                           Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala

Prep time   15 Min.     Cook time   480 Min.     Serves   8

Ingredients

28 ounce canned crushed tomatoes

1 small onion, minced

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon ginger root, fresh, minced

2 tablespoons garam masala

1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt

1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped


Instructions

Combine all ingredients except yogurt and cilantro in a crock pot. Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in yogurt and cilantro. Serve.

This recipe yields about 1 cup chicken with sauce per serving.


     This is a unique dinner that will take your crock pot cooking in a new direction. After you've tried it out make it for your next potluck and dazzle your friends.
     The one thing that is not clear in the recipe is whether you should use 8 big pieces of chicken or many small pieces. I've made it both ways and at this point I don't know which I prefer. My suggestion is try it both ways and decide for yourself.
If you try this dinner leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.


     Next week- Chicken Poppers or Homemade Finger Food.

No comments: