Monday, September 24, 2012

Feta and Spinach Dip or A New Spin.

     Welcome and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is
Feta and Spinach Dip.



     As usual this last post of the month is a snack recipe. Every so often a new food will pop up out of seemingly no where, examples are nachos, frozen yogurt, buffalo wings, key lime pie, and spinach and artichoke dip. These foods mysteriously turn up, everyone starts talking about them, people come up with their own versions of them, and finally they are everywhere until the next fad food comes along.
I'm not saying that this is bad but I sort of see a cycle here and I kind of wonder if there is a correlation between the lifespan of fad foods and the lifespan of boy bands, but I digress.
     One of the foods that I mentioned, spinach and artichoke dip, is very similar to our new snack and I believe is possibly the inspiration for it. Both dips are cheese based and have spinach in them, the difference is that one has artichokes and the other has watercress(keep reading, you'll see). I remember the first time I ate spinach and artichoke dip and I am a fan but I'm also a fan of putting a new spin on an old trick.
     Now that we have a context for today's snack let's take a look at the recipe.

                                      Feta and Spinach Dip

Prep time   12 Min.     Cook time   1 Min.     Serves   8

Ingredients

4 cups fresh spinach, chopped (about 2 ounces)

8 ounces watercress, drained

1/2 cup low fat cream cheese

1/2 cup fat-free sour cream

1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/4 cup chives, fresh,  minced, divided

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt or less to taste (optional)


Instructions

Place spinach in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then cook for 1 minute; drain well.

Place spinach, watercress, cream cheese, sour cream, feta cheese, 2 tablespoons of chives, lemon juice and pepper in a blender; puree. Taste dip and add salt if desired. Spoon dip into a serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of chives.

This recipe yields about 3 tablespoons of dip per serving.


     This is a great dip that can be served with tortillsa chips and veggies or, if you are adventrurous, I can imagine it in finger sandwiches with cucumber slices.
If you try this snack, check back here and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out.


     Next week - Seasoned Pork Tenderloin or Prepping For The Holidays.

No comments: