Monday, May 28, 2012

Baked Honey-Mustard Chicken Bites or Second Time's a Charm.

     Welcome back and thank you for checking out my blog, today's dinner is Baked Honey-Mustard Chicken Bites.



     This is actually a party snack that I make occasionally for my Friday night get-together.
     Very early in this experiment before I had even thought about writing this blog I posted a picture of honey mustard chicken bites on Facebook. The response that I received was strong and a few people asked me to send them the recipe.
After sending out a couple of emails I quickly realized that I was going to have to come up with a more streamlined way of making these recipes accessible to the general public. Thus, I created this blog to address that issue and to allow my experiment to evolve.
     The reason that I sub-titled this "second time's a charm" is because the first I posted a picture of it on Facebook was the first time I made it, and, like many recipes there was a certain amount of trial and error involved in making it and getting it to turn out the way I thought it should. The first time I made this I cut the chicken into large squares and I used the wrong Pillsbury dough which had to be rolled out and didn't want to stay rolled out. What this lead to was a piece of chicken with a piece of dough stuck to it. While it still tasted good it was a little visually off-putting. The first solution that I found was to cut the chicken into smaller rectangular pieces so that the diameter is smaller and the ends of the chicken exceed the width of the dough. The second solution was to buy the Pillsbury crescent roll dough that comes in a tube and can be unrolled into a sheet of dough. Once you have this type of dough it's easy to cut it into 24 uniform rectangles. When you are ready to assemble put the dough in front of you so that the rectangles are arranged vertically and then put the chicken on the dough so that it is oriented horizontally.
I Know this sounds simple but the first time I made this recipe it gave me fits.
By the second time I made this recipe I had learned from my mistakes and everything went much more smoothly, the results can be seen in the picture above.
     Now that I've covered the pitfalls that I've encountered let's take a look at today's snack.


                       Baked Honey-Mustard Chicken bites

Prep time   10 Min.     Cook time   20 Min.     Serves   24

Ingredients

8 Oz. refrigerated crescent roll dough

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 24 equal size pieces

1/4 cup honey mustard

Dipping Sauce

2 Tbs. honey mustard

1-1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce

2 tsp chives, fresh, minced


Instructions

Preheat oven to 375f. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Unroll dough and cut into 24 strips; place strips vertically in front of you. Top each strip with a piece of chicken and brush chicken with some mustard; roll dough around chicken (chicken will stick out on the ends).

Place chicken bites on prepared baking sheet. Bake until dough is golden brown and chicken is cooked through, about 12 to 16 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Meanwhile combine mustard and soy sauce in a small bowl; sprinkle with chives.

This recipe yields 1 chicken bite per serving.


     This is an easy to make party snack that will have a broad appeal and will get a lot of compliments. As always, if you try this recipe check back and let me know how it turned out.


     Next week - Spicy Beef Tacos or Always On The Run.


  

No comments: